Step 1: Discovery Courses
In GoodWinds we have more than 10 years of teaching experience and we have developed a teaching method that will get you up and riding safer and faster. We also follow IKO's guidelines for our lesson programme. IKO is the world leading organization in kitesurf safety, instruction and certification.
All lessons, customized to your learning speed:
Our lesson programme suggests the abilities and technical knowledge
that a kitesurfer should have to safely and effectively pass to the next
level. The levels presented serve as a guide for what a lesson should
be like. However, since people have different sports backgrounds and
experience, we go at the speed of each student. So, for example a lesson
could have part of a level combined with another.
What are the Step 1 Discovery Courses like?
Back to School:
Kitesurfing can be a dangerous sport if not learned and taught properly, for this reason we spend the first part of your first lesson covering the fundamentals of kitesurfing theory in a classroom setting right on the beach. This way, you will fully understand the sport and have a safe and fun lesson.
Go Fly a Kite!
After you understand the basics of wind theory and safety, we go to the fun part... kite flying! We first start with a smaller kite, also knows as a trainer kite. With this smaller trainer kite you will be able to learn kite flying techniques necessary to kiteboarding, but with less pulling power, like the one produced by the full sized kites.
Feel the power:
As soon as you master the trainer kite flying techniques, it's time to use all those skills on a bigger Leading Edge Inflatable kite (LEI); which is exactly the same kite you will use for riding! Your instructor will show you how to rig these kites properly, how to use the safety systems and you will get to practice controlling them. Also, before launching in the water, you will learn how to safely launch and land the kite with assistance and also self landing.
After this course your skill set should be:
Based on (IKO's Level 1A- 1E):
- Know safe wind directions and conditions for kiting
- Know hazards on a spot
- Set up a trainer kite
- Know the use of safety systems
- Have basic flying skills with trainer kite
- Launch and land the trainer kite with an assistant
- Twist and untwist the lines while flying the kite
- Walk and change directions while flying the kite
- Know the wind window
- Set-up a 4/5 line kite with a full de-power system
- Pre-flight check of equipment and settings
- In flight check of equipment and settings
- Understand and use the international communication signals
- Launch and land the kite to an assistant and as an assistant (4/5-line de-power kite)
- Control the kite hooked into the harness
- Understand the de-power system and can use the safety systems
- Advanced flying skills with the de-power kite
- Show full control of de-power systems in flight
- Pull quick release and activate leash
- Recover the bar and kite
- Self land
What are the lesson's details, times and cost?
1. Are you a total beginner? Or you have some sort of Kite Flying experience?
- If you have no experience flying any sort of kites, and you would like to have a solid base before trying the full size LEI (Leading Edge Inflatable) kite, our full Step 1 Course is for you.
- If you have flown trainer kites, but you have never flown a big Leading Edge Inflatable kite part of our Step 1 Course, combined with Step 2 is for you.
- Time: Approximately 3 hours long
- Cost: $270 for Full Course (Regular price: $300)
- Days & times offered: For private lessons, offered any day of the week from 9AM to 3:30PM latest start.
Any Group discounts?
Feel The Wind Course: Come and become part of the kitesurf community, while you learn with other beginners! We occasionally offer on some Saturdays and Sundays group courses starting at 9AM. Please see our calendar for availability. Cost $100 per person for approximately 2 hours, minimum 3 persons to hold class.
Bring a friend!: We can offer Step 1 Discovery courses to groups of 2 or more. (Maximum 3 students per instructor) You can add 1 friend for $100 to the full 3 hr course.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.